Thursday 21 February 2013

Pear shaped

Well this is not a post I thought I would be making but things have gone pretty pear shaped today.  I wont have Lance home until probably Sunday at the earliest because things have gone wrong.  They have found that all the pain overnight was caused by a tear to the femoral artery in the groin which on ultrasound has shown he has an aneurysm in a, you guessed it, very difficult place for treatment.  When things go wrong we do it well!  So the upshot of it is they have performed another procedure at lunchtime to put pressure on the area  and as that didn't work they then decided to inject a type of glue into the aneurysm to hopefully stabilise it.  The next 24 hrs are critical because of the risk of it bursting or breaking off and blocking blood flow to his leg.  He is flat on his back with no chance of moving a muscle for that time.

This was meant to be the miracle treatment to fix his hypertension that is not controlled by all the medication he takes.  The Dr's tell me that the risk of this happening is less than 1% and that since he had the strokes that he is the perfect candidate for it.  Lets just hope that in the next 6 months that it will take for it to start working that there is a drastic improvement and that we will be laughing about it.  I don't feel like laughing very much at the moment.  At least he is in the right place and that they are keeping a close eye on him and I do have faith in them being able to fix it.  Its no ones fault that this has happened.  Its just the way things are. But he is 3 hrs away and insistent that I do not have to come down to see him as he will be home soon enough.  Might just have to override that idea depending how things go.

So I am going to have a pot of tea, which will keep me up all night lol, and a big block of chocolate and probably do some more sewing.  In other words, suck it up and get on with things.

10 comments:

Noela said...

Oh Katherine, that is terrible news. Will be thinking of you both and hope that all will be well with the procedures they have now done. Hugs.....

shez said...

hope things improve for hime Katherine,big hugs.xx

Kate said...

My heart goes out to you. I have been in a similar situation although 6 hours away. Keep the faith. HUGS

Monica said...

I am sorry to hear about this turn of events! Lance seems very stoic, but if it feels better to you to go see him, then you should find someone to look after the house, and pop down to visit him for your own peace of mind. Hopefully he will be out of the woods soon. All the best!

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

My prayers are with both of you. I'm sure when all is done you will be laughing, well, maybe just a smile or two. Hand sewing is just perfect for this sort of thing as you have something good on which to concentrate.

Take care, both of you, and go easy on the chocolate.

Charlie and Wendy said...

I'm so sorry to hear things haven't gone well for Lance. I hope he starts improving and the procedure works and that you get some sleep! You are in my thoughts and prayers, Wendy x

marina said...

boy, hope they will get it sorted asap! Life is never simple is it?
fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and good outcome.
maybe you should resort to decaf tea..

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Oh my. My thoughts are with you both. If you feel the urge to go see him you do it. In the mean time I am sending you all the positive thoughts I can. Hugs to you both xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oh Katherine how awful for poor Lance and such a worry for you. As you say he is in the right place. I do hope they resolve it quickly for him and recovery is quick.
Sending you hugs xx

Anthea said...

Oh No Katherine! What a worrying time. I'm sending by best wishes to Lance, & praying that whoever is caring for him can achieve the best outcome possible for him. And of course I'm sending you & the girls a big hug too. x