Saturday 28 July 2012

Our holiday

On the week of the 16th Lance and I travelled through Castlemaine and Daylesford and ultimately ending up in Ballarat for four days.   Can highly recommend the Menzies Suite at the Quality Inn on Humffray St Nth The owners were very friendly and provided us with a rather large box of Darrell Lea chocolates and some lovely French champagne on arrival and their cooked breakfasts were beautiful too.  

Right next door to the hotel was a large antiques centre and dinner most nights was in the Leagues Club on the opposite corner.  Can also highly recommend the 'Steak house' and 'Pipers on the Lake' too.  I think we might just have to win this years footy tipping so we can go and do it again next year lol.

Botanical gardens


Some gorgeous buildings


Anglican church

The art gallery was also a must see for us.




'Pipers on the lake' is a must for anyone visiting Ballarat.  I should have taken a pic of the interior because it is absolutely stunning.

These are two beautiful dishes Lance found at a place called 'The Mill'.  Its another huge complex filled with antiques, vintage and retro things.  These were from the one just outside Ballarat and there is a much bigger complex in Daylesford that we visited too.

Some sock wool and threadworx to try.  I thought the thread was rather expensive at $6.60 a hank but when you think that it is twice the amount as on a DMC skein its not too bad really lol.

Misti baby alpaca.  Now this was an extravagant buy!  Its a two ply and so very soft.  Will take a fair while to knit up as this is what I attempted in one night on 2.75mm needles.  It will be totally worth the effort though.

We also found a gorgeous print with a little girl surrounded by Jack Russell's which I haven't hung yet.  Will take a pic later to show you.

Not a lot to really show for the fortnight really but might have some progress next weekend on some knitting and the family stitcheries.

Thanks for stopping by.....

7 comments:

Fiona said...

sounds like a great time away and I loved the photo's.... threadworx is quite expensive but I do like it and nice colourways. I can almost feel that soft alpaca through the screen!!
Hugz

Anthea said...

Oh Katherine, what lovely pics & so glad to see you've had such a relaxing & interesting little holiday. I visited Ballarat in 1994, & found it to be so charming & plenty to do & see. I'm interested about the Threadworx, as I intend to buy some for a project.I love the look of what you've done so far with the alpaca yarn, is it going to be a scarf? xo

Mistea said...

Loveliness all round. I like Ballarat with all its lovely old buildings and beautiful parklands.
Pretty yarns and the thread is worth it. Can't wait to see what you knit up with that sock yarn - I'm guessing you got your goodies from the same place I brought my new book.
Enjoy the pretty alpaca yarn.

shez said...

Ballarat is such a beautiful town.xx

Monica said...

It all looks wonderful, Katherine! Your alpaca knitting is going to be gorgeous. It's great to see some photos from around Australia, too. Those balconied buildings remind me of buildings I've seen in the Caribbean. Same Colonial time period, probably.

Linda said...

Hi Katherine, thanks for sharing such lovely photographs. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your time away, and no better way to do so than having it as a 'prize'. Love your purchases, and of course, am extremely interested in your lace knitting. I hope it goes well for you, as I'm sure the project will be lovely when finished. Sorry I've been slack - various reasons. Cheers.

Radka said...

It sounds like you had a lovely time, Katherine :-)
I love the look of your baby alpaca wool, pretty shade. I am sure it will come out beautifully.