Saturday 25 May 2013

All things woolly

This is a new fleece that my parents surprised me with so there is plenty of fleece to spin now.  It was a thank you for helping Dad while he was building the cat enclosure a few weeks back. 

Now this has been washed but still to be combed out before spinning.  I have washed enough to go with the lovely blue I have been spinning to make it go a bit further.  The two will be plied together to make a normal wool. 





I am currently waiting for some 'energised' wool to dry.  It is created by using a single (rather than plied together) strand which has been slightly overspun.   I thought it would be ideal for the first ever proper bobbin I spun up.  Will be interesting to see how it knits up.
Now believe it or not this wool used to be the same colour as the raw fleece pictured below.
Combing it out and skirting it is a messy job but one that is necessary to be able to spin it.  Spinning it as is is really good for the hands as the lanolin comes out and helps to moisturise the hands.  Handy when they had been scouring fleece in hot water lol. 

I have also reached the halfway mark for the blue scarf too. 


8 comments:

shez said...

wow that is all very interesting Katherine,well done.xx

Charlie and Wendy said...

You are keeping busy with your spinning, looking great!

Cheryll said...

That's something I've never tried. .. but I look forward to watching you! :)

Fiona said...

fascinating process...
Hugz

Mistea said...

Your wool looks delicious. Looks like you've got it sorted. Seeing your yarn is really making me want to get my spinning wheel and have a go. Amazing difference in the colour. Enjoy the process.

Noela said...

Love watching people spin wool. They make it look so easy, but sure there is a definite skill to it. Have fun. Hugs....

Jillian said...

So lovely - and I love watching your progress. Just magic. Thanks for sharing.

Shirley said...

It's great to see how it is made, and to know with your own wool must be amazing x