Monday 22 April 2013

Spinning

Yesterday I took my Mum to the Nanny and Ewe? Fiber thingy that was in town and had a very enjoyable hour looking at different yarns, knits, other related products and fleeces.  Mum came home with two 1.5kg fleeces and some wool for socks yesterday and a set of dpn's for socks in bamboo rather than metal.  I came home with business cards and one of Mum's spinning wheels lol.  Been a very long time since I have done any spinning but now I have a wheel and some old fleece and cardings to practice on lol.  Mum used to be always spinning and knitting for us when we were kids and a 1.5kg corradale fleece cost about $16-17 so I can see the value in it.  Maybe if I get good enough I can get a white fleece spun up and dye it for socks etc.  Will be a very long time before I can spin like Mum as she used to churn out a lovely 2ply 20 odd years ago.  I am very good at a slubby 8-12 ply lol


3 comments:

retdairyqueen said...

I have just sold my spinning wheel after 30 years A hobby I enjoyed but sadly no one seems to want hand spun any more In my circle any way
Have fun

Mistea said...

Ooh that looks like it might be fun
Looking forward to seeing some yarn coming off the wheel.

Shirley Cryan said...

Wow that's amazing spinning your own wool.