Wednesday 21 January 2015

Harvest time


Well from my three icky looking tomato plants I have managed to harvest 1 ten ltr bucket of tiger eye, black russian and lemon tomatoes which I am currently cooking up into a few different pasta sauces for the freezer.  The really hot sun did a bit of a number on these bushes a few months back but they still managed to grow and ripen for me.  Two of the bushes have some lovely new growth on them too.  Putting up the white bird netting has made a huge difference as chooks and birds can't harvest the vegies for me lol.

Also managed a huge bowl of blackberries but they were eaten before I could take a pic and there are some beetroot, raddish, beans and zuchini getting very close to harvest too.

Those black russians are just the thing cut thickly and popped in a buttered roll with a few basil leaves and nothing else.  The taste is unbelievable!


6 comments:

Anthea said...

Oh it all looks so yum Katherine! I tried growing capsi & cucu a few years back but the crows got to them before I did!
Um, what the are black russians that are so delicious?!

Monica said...

Yes, I can just imagine how good those Black Russians are, with your hot sun to ripen them. Heirloom tomatoes are one of my favourite things! Lucky you. :D

Radka said...

Ahhhh, the taste of summer :-)
xx

e said...

Your tomatoes are gorgeous - I can only dream the next few months will go quickly so I can get mine in the ground. Northern Hempisphere - It's snowing :) and cold yet again this week.

Sisbabestitches said...

Yum! What a fabulous harvest! I must say after the hot weather destroyed all my plants last year, I wussed out and didn't do any veg this year, and now the weather is gorgeous, of course ;)

Jillian said...

Black Russian are my very favourite. They have been scarce here for a few weeks. They look fabulous.