Saturday 1 March 2014

Socks! Alpaca etc

Well I have started a pair of socks from the blend I spun up the other week.  18 WPI (wraps per inch) so I am really happy with it.  First lace pattern too.

I also received some alpaca that I found on ebay last week so it has been washed and dried.  I have been carding it up the last few days. Love the colours!

Also finished off and washed up a blend of merino, camel, silk and plyed it with blue/grey merino.  So lovely and soft. 




Also have been busy spinning up 200gms of merino roving and navaho plying into this.  Looks great and Grace was eyeing it off as it was going onto the wheel during the week.  I have worked out that for a 5ply upwards it takes me about 4 hours  to spin up a 100gm single.  Not too bad! This is roughly an 8ply.
Lastly I tried another new technique as I had some leftovers on bobbins.  Its a cable ply where you ply two singles together twice.  Next you put these two lots plyed together again (ie 4singles together) in the opposite direction.  It was really overspun until I washed it which relaxed it but I am not real happy with the result.  Will perhaps have another go at it adding more twist to the first lot of plying because when you put it through on the last ply you are going in reverse which actually removes some twist. 
Now this is what a cable ply should look like lol.  The cable one is attached to the wooden WPI thingy.  The other yarn type is a navaho or chain ply.

 There are so many interesting types of yarn that can be made rather than just a boring old 2ply in various thicknesses.

Well off to do a little secret sewing and make Lance a couple of nut loaves.






2 comments:

Jillian said...

You are a powerhouse! The lace socks are fabulous and the alpaca is really promising. I really admire your experimenting and persistence - so many great ideas.

Monica said...

That cable ply is really interesting, it will be worth getting it down. I've knitted cabled yarn (although I didn't know that was the name for it) and I found it was lovely to use - no danger of splitting the yarn with the needle!

Can't wait to see those socks blocked too!