Friday 17 January 2014

Crazy heatwave

Its been extremely warm here with days all being over 40 since the weekend.  We made tops of 46 and 48 over the last two days despite what the media reported so it has been very icky indeed.  37 for Saturday is going to be marvelous in comparison lol.  Due for a cool change tonight but I don't think we will get it until Saturday.  We'll see.

Last weekend I wound off these hanks of 8ply alpaca/merino blends to put in the stash for some lovely warm hats to be knitted and matching mitts. 


I also finished off this beaded/sequined black/grey merino.


I finished off a bobbin of white alpaca and began spinning up some mauve superfine merino/bamboo tops that I dyed last year.  Might end up being plyed with the alpaca I think.  We'll see what else I come up with in regards to beads etc.  Its spun almost half a bobbin in no time this morning but starting to get a little warm to be bothered now.  SO might continue with organizing all my patterns into plastic pockets and then into themed folders for much easier referencing.  No boring photos of that! LOL. 



The last three pics are of the black and white English Leicester all nice and washed with a lovely merino/corriedale lambs fleece which I also picked up from Dani through the facebook group called Australian Handspinners and Knitters.  During autumn I will have to borrow Mum's carding machine again and get some more fleece prepped.  These will be the last I will need to buy for quite a while unless a bargain comes under my radar as these English Leicesters were a steal really at $25 including postage each. 



Might need to bore you all with some photos off the internet of these gorgeous looking sheep!  With their fleeces on.

Keep cool and stay safe during this heatwave or in Radka and Monica's case keep warm!

Katherine



3 comments:

Jillian said...

The alpaca/merino looks great. I'm interested to see what you do with the beaded merino. Our cool change came in the middle of Friday night. The temperature dropped to mid30s - much better, but still not cool. Lovely breeze today. Hope you were well free of fires.

Mistea said...

Love all your fibre goodness, laid out for us to see.
You are keeping that wheel spinning.
Gorgeous.

Monica said...

LOL, yes it has been cold, but I'd take that over 48 C any day.