Friday 10 January 2014

A finish and some shopping

Last night I put the last row of crochet on a wrap that I started New Years Day.  I don't have a pattern so have just made it up as I went along.  The wool started off as this
and after some spinning and navaho plying (chain plying) I ended up with some lovely balls to create a wrap.  When plying I should have paid more attention to my plying so I would have had a very different looking yarn with less of what I call the barber pole effect LOL.  But it was the first time I have ever tried that method of plying and of course I am still learning about spinning techniques too. 
So to the finished product a lovely warm wrap with enough yarn left over for a hat or another scarf. 

The wrap has not been blocked yet. 

This morning I also went for a drive to Tongala and picked up my copy of ply magazine.  I also did a little fiber shopping while I was there so that I would have some different fibers to blend with.
Merino/camel/silk, bluefaced leicester/soy and lastly some tussah silk top.  I think I will leave the camel one for the February comp on the Australian handspinners and knitters facebook page.  The heads up was that it had to be a fiber you had never tried before so I will have to leave the camel blend until then. 

The white English Leicester I won on ebay for $15 a kilo also arrived.  It is now smelling much better and looking much cleaner drying on the rack outside.  Its hot but perfect weather for washing fleece lol.  Must keep an eye out for more fleecy bargains as this is a steal!

Lastly these are some finished rolags I was making on my blending board over the last couple of days.  Mottled grey merino, suri alpaca, white merino/poll dorset lamb and some dyed BWM tops.  I do have a lot more too but they are now going back through the blending board because I was making the rolags too tight so it was hard to spin from them.  Much better at it now thanks to some helpful tips from some lovely ladies on the facebook group I joined.





4 comments:

Charlie and Wendy said...

I have just enjoyed a catch up of your blog, lots of lovely projects! Your new wrap is gorgeous, you are so clever spinning your own yarn! Hope you have a wonderful 2014, Wendy

O'faigh said...

Hello Katherine, I love the wrap you have made.I agree with Wendy you are clever in spinning your own yarn...Hugs O'faigh

Jillian said...

I rather like your "barber pole"effect! I love the huge variation in color you are getting in the various wools. Really interesting. I reckon you could dry anything in this current weather. It's a wonder the wool doesn't frizzle up!

Monica said...

The wrap is gorgeous, I really like the airy crochet pattern you came up with! The Leicester looks so nice, even "au naturel!"