Friday 31 January 2014

Added to the stash!

Thursday I decided on the spur of the moment to head to Bendigo to visit the woollen mills and spotlight. Nothing was bought at Spotlight that I can share yet but I did find some great fibers in the discount bins out the back.  Sadly, but understandably, the staff at the woollen mills would not send me any fiber in the mail so can only get it when I'm heading through town which is not very often.

The cones were the real reason for the visit but these other bags had to come home too lol.  The nylon will be put on the blending board with any fiber that is destined to become socks.  Usually sock blends are 70/30 blend or even lower if there is another fiber like alpaca included like 60/20/20.

I have also managed to tame a few issues I had with the blending board by putting the fleece I was using through a carder to make a batt.  Now I am able to pull some beautiful light and airy rolags off it without a whole lot of effort.

While doing some spinning today I had Merlin and Tess keeping me company.  I have finished the 2nd bobbin of lovely lamb fleece from Dani and plyed it together and am very pleased with how it turned out.  There is a lot more ready to spin up as it has all been carded now. 



I've popped the mauve superwash merino/bamboo from a few weeks ago back on the wheel to finish off. 
Well too hot for much else so will spend tomorrow spinning as well lol.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

Love the look of that silver bag. I didn't realise BWM sold nylon for blending - very productive trip I'd say! Hope you got more spinning done on the weekend. I really dislike 40+ weather and spent mine stitching hexies. Great to have a cool breeze here today.

Mistea said...

Your yarn looks lovely there in the hank.
It looks like the trip to Bendigo was a fruitful one.
Enjoy your new fibres.

Monica said...

I love these silvery greys, too. I'm sure Merlin is in seventh heaven with all this yarn everywhere!