Friday 12 July 2013

This week I have ...

finished one sock for Lance and started on the second.





Skeined up a ball of white 5 ply wool like I used for the first pair of crochet socks and played around with blue and pink food colourings.  I used a similar techinque to the jelly dying and soaked the skein for a couple of hours in 2lts warm water and 1/2c vinegar.  Then I mixed up some food colourings at different strengths with water and a splash of vinegar and splodged it over the damp skein of wool.  Next I put it into an old casserole dish and microwaved it for 2 mins then allowed a 2 min rest and repeated this 6 times.  Then washed it out and let it it dry. 


This is what I have ended up with.

I have almost finished some sewing too.  But its all a secret lol.


11 comments:

Claire said...

I love how ou dye your own wool. It's so cool!

Claire said...

I love how ou dye your own wool. It's so cool!

marina said...

that is incredible Katherine, I love hearing about your dying techniques and the results are amazing!

kim said...

What a wonderful way to dye your own wool Katherine........I love the different colour variations......Lance's socks are coming along nicely too. x

Mistea said...

Nice sock. Love the texture.
Pretty yarn you have created - wondering what that will become?
Ooh - secrets, sounds like a busy week.
Enjoy the weekend.

Maria said...

Lovely colour you have dyed your wool...

Noela said...

Love the colour of your dyed wool. Your poor sock looks lonely, has it got a partner yet? Hugs......

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Love that wool!

Anthea said...

Katherine no wonder I am putting away my yarn & needles!! You are so clever to do that, and the colours have come up so gorgeous, happy knitting!!

shez said...

such a gorgeous colour you are very clever dying the wool yourself,well done.xx

Jillian said...

Great looking sock. Very pretty wool - now to work out what to do with it!