Wednesday 17 October 2012

Well it is a massive update today lol...

I decided on Friday to start quilting the Christmas stitchery I did back in January lol.  It is the first bigger item I have tried to quilt other than a couple of mug mats and the table centre I stitched for Mum last year.  I love FMQ and am looking forward to doing a bigger quilt top soon as I finish this one off and get the next one organised with backing and wadding.




There are a few things I have learned so far along the process.
1.  Don't change direction when ditch quilting as was suggested in one book I borrowed from mum.  Mmmmm that book has now been ditched!
2.  Remember to change the stitch length after you have turned the machine off to have a break lol.  Not such a biggy when it is only ditch quilting.
3.  Perhaps use a plain coloured thread when ditch quilting as the lighter tone has really shown up in a few places.  (That is because I am being really picky lol)
4.  I think I might just prefer to hand tack rather than use pins to baste.  But this is probably because I folowed the wrong book! lol.
5.  Lock dog out of room while trying to take photos so dogs butt is not featured lol. 

I'm not sure what I will do around the blocks on the red.  I think I may just put the walking foot back on and 1/4" around the seams on each.  Anyone else got any ideas for me ........

6 comments:

Monica said...

I think 1/4" around the seams in the red, with red thread, will be quite good. My only advice is to try to keep the density of the quilting the same as the FMQ, otherwise the quilt may pucker.

Good for you for getting started! I am still lagging behind.

Anthea said...

Gorgeous FMQ Katherine, I'd never be brave enough!
Actually, I think the 1/4 inch around the seams would love really good... says me the non-quilter, LOL
And Miss Tess has a very cute butt, I think she is doing what is called 'photo bombing', adorable!

Michelle Ridgway said...

It this lovely Katherine and in plenty of time for Christmas... my old doggie used to seek out whichever quilt was new and lie all over it.

Radka said...

I really like this, Katherine, I am getting that Christmas feeling :-))

Jillian said...

It's lovely - love red work. It looks so rich and has great depth. Your timing is terrific - how clever of you to remember to get it out to quilt this month!

Grit said...

Wow, your Work looks so fantastic.
Liebe Grüße Grit from Germany