Friday 13 February 2015

Carding

Today I carded up some more batts for Mum to have a go at spinning.  The main idea was to do some small ones with which she can use to test spin some fibres other than wool to see how she goes.  Mum can not spin or even knit a commercial alpaca yarn which is a real shame when we have spinning days and she sees Charly's gorgeous batts and braids which came in the clubs last quarter.

This first one includes some llama which Mum was given a few locks of that is now washed and blended with BWM tops/bamboo and merino fleece I dyed and carded up some time ago.  There is a soft mushroom/pink, blue, green, yellow and browns in this and I did it in layers of colour for her.



This one is from the leftovers of what I pulled out of the November Ixchel batt.  ie I removed all of the silk thready bits plus a lot of the sparkle and some of the suri alpaca and bunny angora.  I added this to 18 micron merino that I dyed up and had left over bits of mauve and blue.  So it is another gorgeous layered batt to play with.

These and the mohair ones I did a few weeks ago will be plyed with a neutral colour and she can make a small contrast lot as well and there will be enough of each to do stripes in some fingerless mitts to see how it wears next to the skin.

5 comments:

kiwikid said...

You have some beautiful colours there and it looks so soft!

Monica said...

It is so interesting to read about your yarn "recipes," Katherine! There's so much more to it than I thought. Good luck with them!

rebecca said...

These batts are reaaly beautiful...very subtle in their colouring. A drum carder must be a very favoured tool!

Jillian said...

You've been busy again! These are beautiful - such subtle colours. Hope your mum enjoys playing with them - and has success. I want the next instalment!

Rachelle said...

Those are so pretty, they make me think of early morning fluffly clouds