Saturday 10 May 2014

Dyeing for Mum

Mum came over yesterday so I could dye up a few kgs of wool for her on the side burner of our BBQ.  Two huge stock pots full of water and dye resulted in this plus many more washes and rinses to get the excess dye out of the fibre. 





Still damp but will bring it inside tomorrow and let the rack sit over the bath to dry quicker.  Also have a pile of wet grey merino for me out there too now.  Lovely cold damp day we are having which is perfect for wet wool and fleece lol.  Whoops!

I've also been asked to make some socks and a hat like I did for Alan so am busy prepping fibre, carding and blending to follow and then spin and knit them.  Going to take a while in this weather but thats ok.  A well paying order is not to be turned away but quite handy as I love the whole process and Lance believes he doesn't need too many socks!  I was just starting on some work ones for him which one pair will be finished this week and then hopefully the ordered ones will be on the needles this time next week. 

Did up a little sample skein for the sock order last night after blending a few rolags of blue merino tops, natural grey merino wool, with a smidgen of while alpaca and nylon.  The alpaca and nylon will help with wear and provide strength and a little sheen. It is also a little more on the grey side than blue unlike the photo below and it washed up so soft!


I have also finished off the Owl tops I bought and plyed it with a bobbin of tussah silk.  Also came up beautifully and will end up as a scarf or wrap.  The sheen from the silk makes it quite shiny but I really enjoyed spinning the silk for the first time.  Not as slippery as I thought it would be.



Well finished lunch now and back to prepping more fibre.  Enjoy your week everyone!

2 comments:

Monica said...

That little sample looks wonderful! Sounds like a great mix of fibres.

I also love what you have done with the silk. The colours are so soft and elegant. I am interested to see what you will do with it!

Jillian said...

Love your barbecued wool and the silk is exciting. Look forward to hearing how that goes. What did you start with for the silk? Congratulations on the paying order- way to go!