Saturday 16 May 2015

FNSI results!

Well hopefully it will post up unlike the report from FNWF lol.  I will have to remember to double check this week lol.

So I decided that I had to make a needle case for all my beautiful knitting needle sets some weeks back and my favourite older needles.  Over the last few weeks when I have had time I have been working on the insides of the storage case making up the pattern as I went along and doing it for each specific set of needles too.   I have finished making 2 double sided inserts for the interchangeable sets and am in the process of making one for the DPN sock sets and when the cover is complete it will have space for my favourite old straight needles and all the crochet hooks and an area for notions like stitch markers, tape measures, scissors, darning needles and anything else I am likely to want to use while knitting or crocheting.  I currently have a box with old needles etc and it is not very portable and all the different cases that came with the sets were driving me a little nuts lol.  I will be keeping them with things I don't want to ditch just yet in that cardboard box.




Last night at 6.30pm I ironed on the backing to my linen for the cover and sat down and drew a wrought iron gate from a pic in Inspirations Magazine and completed it and almost one hollyhock on the side.  I did spend a large chunk of yesterday going through all 85 editions of this magazine for inspiration and decided to pick elements from about 4 different projects that caught my eye and add them to it in a cottage garden style which will reflect our garden.  So around my feet while sitting on the couch are all my boxes of threads.  Madera silks, cottage garden, some other silks, DMC and Madera cottons and some very old semco and anchors as well.  A large collection of colours and textures!  I was gifted nearly all the colours brought out by Madera and I did quite a few years ago fill in the gaps of my collection of DMCs so I have plenty to choose from.


So not a bad start for a few hours really.  We watched an episode of Death in Paradise on DVD and followed it by Miss Fisher on the ABC and then I was too tired for any more stitching.

Some of you will remember when I used to seriously stitch but I ran out of use for such items and decided it was time to concentrate on knitting and it lead to spinning as well.  What I deemed more practical projects because patchwork although I do love it is one of Mum's favourites and with 10 quilts in the house I didn't need any more of those either lol.  Then there is the collection I am going to inherit one day too!  I will need a bigger house.

So there's a start and I might do a little more now and also work on my first ever pair of hand knitted mittens and visit around some other blogs after lunch.  I think I have the day all worked out quite satisfactorily now.  

19 comments:

Lin said...

Your case is going to be wonderful especially with your lovely embroidery on the front - am looking forward to seeing the finished embroidery. xx

Jillian said...

This is quite amazing, Katherine - from the concept of keeping all this together ( without the finished holder being bigger than the shoebox!)!to going through all the magazines and actually doing some stitching. You are like that drumming wind-up toy in th e battery ad - you just keep going. Brilliant.

I've been out two Friday's in a row and missed Phryne. Need to find time to catch up.

Cath said...

Oh wow, I love it! I have a clear vision of you leafing through your mags looking for just the right image.....because I have done that many times too......glad it paid off.

Allie said...

That is amazing - so beautiful!!! I love that you're custom-making it.

Monica said...

My knitting needles are a wild jumble in a plastic box, and I often used to wish for something like this. I think it's going to be very satisfying to know exactly where everything is, and in such a pretty package too! A productive day!

Anthea said...

Great idea to make a tidy for your needles Katherine - & I hope you enjoy the stitching, you sure have plenty of threads to use!

Karen's Korner said...

Your knitting needles now have a lovely new home. No more lost needles. I am also a big fan of Miss Fisher...often watch on Iview if I miss the Friday night timeslot on tv.

Happy knitting.

Kaisievic said...

Katherine, I am so impressed - clever you to make a knitting holder like this.

Raewyn said...

It is nice to make something useful - and this will be beautiful as well! Good luck with the mittens :-)

e said...

Anything to help keep us organized is a good thing. Your case is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That embroidery is simply beautiful! I realized as I read down your post that needle cases are something entirely different to those who knit. LOL

SuperMomNoCape said...

Your knitting needle case is going to be beautiful! I love the design you are embroidering on the front.

I've recently started a weekly Stitchery Link Party for all things hand embroidered and I'd love to have you come link up this post.
http://www.supermomnocape.com/2015/05/18/vintage-embroidery-monday-stitchery-link-party-6/

If you've never participated in a link party before, I have a quick tutorial available for how to link up. I do hope you'll come join in.

Maria said...

You will be happy with your new needle case. Much easier to carry around.
Your embroidery is lovely.

Renee said...

The garden gate embroidery is gorgeous! Your case is going to be stunning.

Linda in Calif. said...

I hear you about the too many projects to be of use. I have enough quilts. And I have stitcheries sitting in the cupboard - but they keep me happy doing them. I had to laugh at the 84 magazine. Yep, that sounds like me. LOL I love the wroght iron and hollyhock. Good choice.

Christine B said...

What a beautiful case to keep your knitting needles in! You have made a wonderful start on the embroidery... it will be nice to see it finished. :) x

Pamela said...

Great idea. I love combining useful with beautiful!

Jeanne said...

That will be wonderful with the design you are drawing and stitching! Nice work!

SuperMomNoCape said...

I'm just popping back to thank you for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party. And also for posting the party's button in your side bar to help to get the word out so others can come enjoy the fun too. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Aloha hugs!

I do hope you'll come join in again soon. I'm having a giveaway over the next few weeks where anyone who links up will be entered into the drawing for a small prize.