Sunday 29 March 2015

Dyeing Day

Yesterday Mum came over and instead of a spinning day we had a dyeing day as I am all set up for it here with the gas burner on the bbq and also the microwave and all the dyes in the shed.

While cooking batches for a jumper lot on the bbq we dyed up some light fawn alpaca I had in the shed for her and also ran about a kilo of white corriedale through the microwave method so that she has loads of colours to play with!




You should see the gorgeous colours of the lot in the first two photos once the sun hit them!  Stunning!

So while that was going on yesterday and again today I am popping through 3kgs of mixed grey merino using landscapes red ochre.  I thought yesterday when Mum brought over all the fleece with so many dark grey bits through it that the colour would not take in it would be horrid.  Well after 200gms as a test it was decided that it would be perfect to be carded up together and make a long cardigan for Mum and a jumper for Dad.  Mum has just developed a liking for her drum carder as I don't have the time to card it all up for her like I used to lol.  She might have to card me up a sock lot lol!




It was still damp in these pics but it is a little more on the red side than brown.  Must see if I can get a better photo later.

I have also had two projects off the needles which I still haven't blocked yet.  Will get to it and come back and share some pics later in the week.  Going to be in the 30's for the next few days so will be perfect for blocking out my newest scarf!

4 comments:

Binsa said...

loved seeing your dyeing progress .Regards Ofaigh

Jillian said...

I love the way the red ochre turned out - it's going to knit up into something quite varied and interesting. The brights are lovely - so cheery.

While you were writing this I was dying fabric at the Embroiderers' Guild - lots of small pieces now cooking away on the bonnet of my car!

Anthea said...

Hi Katherine - wow you've been busy - lots of great colours there & the dyeing methods are always interesting to read about...
Enjoy your warmer days x

Monica said...

You have some beautiful intense colours there! What method did you like better - the BBQ or the microwave?